How does VFC and GAL work together?
The Guardian ad Litem (GAL) program is a government-funded agency. As such, they are not allowed to accept any donations. We all know the work the GAL program does is very important to the children in Hillsborough County. However, oftentimes, the funding supplied by the State to fulfill this work is not enough to appropriately supply the agency with all they need to be successful.
This is where Voices for Children comes in!
VFC’s mission is to provide support and advocacy for the abused, neglected, and abandoned children in our community. For over 30 years, we have chosen to accomplish this mission by partnering with the Guardian ad Litem Program of Hillsborough County.
How does VFC accomplish this?
- We support the kids to help make their lives a little easier as they navigate through the court system and foster care. When all other avenues have been exhausted (case management, foster parents, relatives), you can request help from your CAM for items such as:
- School uniforms, shoes, undergarments and socks
- Summer camps
- School supplies
- Tutoring services
- Duffle bags, backpacks, and toiletries
- School field trips
- Toys for birthdays or other occasions
- High school year books and dances
- After school activities such as dance, football, soccer, art class etc.
- Infant needs including strollers and playpens
2. We support our GAL Outreach Program and GAL Volunteer Initiatives through:
- Marketing efforts, such as ads on buses and local publications
- Supplies needed to support the recruitment effort of new volunteers
- Memberships and luncheons for recruitment team as they spread the word about GAL in the community
- Food and recognition at volunteers meetings and graduations
- Any items need to aid in the recruitment process
- Volunteer appreciations items such as notebooks and license plate frames
3. We support our GAL staff attorneys to ensure they have all they need as they build their cases for the best possible outcome for each child. This includes:
- Pay for psychological evaluations and expert witnesses
- Pay for surveillance in cases of domestic violence
- Pay for court reporting and audio files
- Pay for legal paperwork including birth certificates, hospital records, etc.
4. We support Florida’s first courthouse facility dog program.
- Our facility dog helps to calm traumatized children so they find their voice and share what happened to them.
- It is our intention to provide the safest and highest level of care to the vulnerable child victims of abuse, abandonment and neglect.